SPEAKING I (MEETING PEOPLE)

OLD FRIENDS AND NEW ACQUAINTANCES


Donald Halton, the host, is greeting guests at n international cocktail party for teachers and students. He shakes hands with Miss Maria Romero, talks to her for a few minutes and then introduces her to another guest.

Halton             : ah, Mr. Elphinstone. Let me introduce you to Miss Romero.
Elphinstone     : How do you do, Miss Romero.
Maria              : How do you do.
Elphinstone     : let me get you a drink. What will you have? I think there are cocktails or sherry.
Maria              : sherry, please. Dry, if possible.
Elphinstone     : (to Halton) can I bring you anything sir?
Halton             : No, thanks you. My glass is over there. (Elphinstone goes off to fetch a drink)
Halton             : how are you getting on in England, Miss Romero? Are you finding the language difficult?
Maria              : No, not at all. You see, my mother is English, though this is my first visit to England. Lots of other things, especially finding my way about, seem far more difficult.
Halton             : but you are enjoying yourself, I hope?
Maria              : very much. And I am making a lot of new friends. (Elphinstone returns with a drink which he gives to Maria)
Elphinston       : here you are. One dry sherry.
Maria              : thank you.
Elphinstone     : (before drinking from his own glass) Cheers! (they drink)
Halton             : and now please excuse me. I must meet some new arrivals. (he goes off)
Maria              : I’m sorry. Can you tell me your name again? I can’t remember it.
Elphinstine      : Elphinstone. It is rather long. Call me Bob. So much easier.
Maria              : I’m Maria. Do you live in London?
Elphinstone     : No, I come from Edinburgh. I’m just staying here for a forthnight.

(Dr. Mackanzie, who is just passing, suddenly sees Elphinstone)

Mackanzie      : well it’s Bob Elphinstone! Good evening. What are you doing in London?
Elphinstone     : Dr. Mackanzie! How nice to see you! How are you?
Mackanzie      : not so bad. A bit of a cold. There’s an old friend of yours just behind you. Gregory! Here’s Bob Elphinstone.
Gregory           : hallo, Bob. Three good Scots in London. How’s life?
Elphinstone     :pretty good. Let me introduce you both to Miss Romero.
Mackanzie      :Dr. Mackanzie.
Gregory           :I’m Gregory.

(they shake hands)

Maria              : do you all come from Edinburgh?
Elphinstone     : I an and are medical students there. Dr. Mackanzie is one of our tutors. Are you a student Maria?
Maria              : I hope to be a student. I want to read history at London University, but I have to pass an examination before I can be accepted.
Elphinstone     : best of luck to you. I an and I have finals next year.
Gregory           : look. Mr. Halton is going to make a speech.

(everyone is silent and turns to face Halton)


Halton             : ladies and gentlement! We are very pleased to welcome ... 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

CARA MUDAH DAN CEPAT MENYELESAIKAN SOAL BAHASA INGGRIS (TO INFINITIVE)

MOVIE (THE MENTALIST) SUBTITLE INDONESIA

CARA MUDAH MEMAHAMI PENGGUNAAN ELIPTIC SENTENCE